Monday, December 10, 2012

Eberlestock Mini Me - The Perfect Boar Scouting Pack


Most of the hunting community is familiar with Eberlestock, but their tiny scout pack, the Mini Me, doesn't get near the attention that it deserves. I am a minimalist by nature, so what most consider it's major falw, I see as something of a virtue. I'm refering to it's scant capacity of only 800ci. Honestly, I think that's a bit generous because after you've filled up the water bladder, you won't have room for a whole lot else. But I'll address that a bit later - because 'little else' is just about right for a scout by my standards.

Materials & Construction

Let's start this review with a survey of the technical details of this pack.

Modularity

Versatility

This is hands down the most versitile pack that I own, when considering that I spend more time scouting and hiking than actually field dressing and packing out animals. So let's take a look at what this pack does well.

Hiking

The Mini Me has replaced my North Face Sporthiker as my go to day hiking bag. The 3L Source water bladder performs flawlessly, and the unassuming solid coyote brown color is at home on a trail packed with families and weekend adventurers.

Photography

When I know I'm going to be out shooting photos I like to cary my DSLR in a LowePro chest harness clipped directly to the D-rings on my Eberlestock pack straps. This allows me to carry the camera all day long with quick access and no fatigue. I can slide a small tripod into the full length accessory pocket on the pack, or if I need a full size tripod I can stowe it in a rifle scabbard clipped into the webbing in the zip away pocket.

Fishing

The rifle scabbard makes for a perfect fly rod holder if I am chasing trout or crayfish up a boulder laden stream. Of course, after catching some fish, there's no need for a stringer or plastic bag - the stow away mesh bird bag makes for a fantastic fish carrier, and I like to line it with a few handfuls of wet grass.

Foraging

This one should be obvious. It's a light hiking pack with an additional 1200ci mesh bag that does a fine job for stowing anything from fiddleheads to pine nuts. I'm waiting to see the mushroom hunting community get word of this pack.

Small Game Hunting

Obviously the bird bag does what it's designed for as well. When out boar hunting you'll encounter squirrels, hares, rabbits, quail, dove, duck and the rare grouse. As long as you have the right tags and weapon and you're in the right season, a little camp meat can be just the right thing to liven up your boar hunt.

Of course, you can use this to pack out boar or deer or other big game. I don't know that I'd want to though as I can't imagine that this little baby would do all that well with excessive weight. If I were only a few miles in and had taken a smallish sow (<100lbs.) then I'd probably consider boning it out on the spot and packing it out with the Mini Me.

Clean Up

A final note on the bird bag. I think I end up using it to pick up other people's trash more than anything else. I can't stands when I am out in the otherwise pristine wild and I come upon a candy bar wrapper or empty beer can. You can toss any trash you find into the mesh bag without worry of stinking up your pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment